Description and Responsibilities
At Memphis Jewish Home & Rehab, the Director of Spiritual Care directs and coordinates chaplaincy, spiritual living, and religious activities for the diverse senior living population at the Home. Recognizing that Memphis Jewish Home & Rehab serves Orthodox, Conservative, Reform and unaffiliated Jewish residents, as well as non-Jewish residents, the Director of Spiritual Care ensures that all residents have access to quality and innovative opportunities to enrich and find comfort in their spiritual and religious life.
Key responsibilities include:
- Lead and coordinate – with the assistance of the Activities Department – the daily, Sabbath, and holiday religious services occur on campus. Examples include:
- Large group programs for holidays, festivities, cultural events, and other programs with a spiritual living and religious theme.
- Spiritual education opportunities, including, but not limited to, Torah studies, book clubs, one-on-one study sessions.
- Send out instructions to staff on guidance for holidays.
- Schedule and coordinate local clergy to lead weekly Kabbalat Shabbat services.
- Provide chaplaincy, counseling, and other support programs and services to residents, families, staff, and other groups served by Memphis Jewish Home & Rehab.
- Work collaboratively with the Activities Department, Dining Department, and Development Department to ensure all roles and responsibilities are clearly understood in relation to Jewish/Halakhic observance and spiritually fulfilling all residents at Memphis Jewish Home & Rehab.
- Provide quality and meaningful end-of-life care and counseling to residents and families as needed, including potentially officiating at resident/patient funerals.
- Host quarterly Resident Remembrance (Memorial) Service for families.
- Prepare and send out condolence and yahrzeit cards for residents’ families.
- Assist the Director of Dining & Hospitality and the Mashgiach on the direction of the kashrut program in kitchens and ensure compliance with VA’AD standards, which can be reasonably implemented on a senior living campus.
- Assist the Activities Department in securing and directing appropriate clergy and spiritual living support for non-Jewish residents served at Memphis Jewish Home & Rehab, including clergy to provide non-Jewish religious services.
- Coordinate and work closely with the Board of Directors as needed and directed by the Executive Director/Administrator.
- Create a warm, enriching atmosphere of Judaism for Jewish residents and their families.
- Assist the Executive Director/Administrator with safeguarding and upkeep of religious articles and artifacts (e.g., Torah scrolls, shofars, siddurim, Judaica) owned by Memphis Jewish Home & Rehab.
- Represent Memphis Jewish Home & Rehab in the community as our Director of Spiritual Care.
- Develop relationships with Rabbis, Clergy, and faith leaders of all faiths across the Memphis community.
- Perform other duties and activities as directed by the Executive Director/Administrator.